Ciao, amici! I’ve been busy with rewrites and revisions this week, which (for me) is a combination of glee, stress, and oh-my-god-how-do-I-suck-this-much.
I’ll admit to writing a few beautiful sentences, but I also have to admit to writing a few that simply made no sense. Maybe they would to Lewis Carroll readers (any fans of Jabberwocky here?), but not to many others. There are instances of questionable spelling (and that’s being kind) and sentence structure so poor, I’m amazed I can figure out what I meant. I’ve even found one that just stops. It didn’t end, mind you. There was no completion of thought followed by a period or other punctuation mark. It just dropped off, mid-thought.
The worst part? I have no idea what I wanted to say there.
It’s a process like this which makes Reba McEntire’s words resonate with me:
To succeed in life, you need three things:
a wishbone, a backbone, and a funny bone.
Kind of funny, but very true. Her words apply to stories, too. And I find myself using all these things this week as I try to make a success of this novel.
- I’m wishing and dreaming for good things to happen.
- I’m working hard to make sure they do.
- And I’m laughing at the dumb things I did so they don’t get me down.
And really, isn’t that the best we can hope to do?
What about you? Are you using these bones (and/or any others) to succeed in your writing endeavors? Is there something Ms. McEntire missed? Let’s talk about it.
And now, this week’s writing links:
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Are Writers Born or Made | Mae Clair
- Be Careful Who You Kill | Harmony Kent
- Villain’s Journey and the Monster | C.S. Boyack
Posts by others in the industry:
- Identifying Problems in Novels | Fiction University
- Adding Life to Locations | Nicholas C. Rossis
- 6 Reasons Behind a Publisher Saying Yes or No | K.M. Allan
- Tying Up Loose Ends | Fiction University
- Voice Search Book Discovery | BookWorks
- J.A. Konrath on Book Marketing | Nicholas C. Rossis
- 3 Reasons to Use Timestamps | Romance University
- 5 BookBub Ad Mistakes to Avoid | BookBub
- Genre: Chick Lit | Word Dreams
- Period Images | Nicholas C. Rossis
- Believable Character Changes | The Write Practice
- Passive Story Goals | Writers Helping Writers
- 3 Reasons Books are Rejected (Plus Solutions) | The Write Practice
- Authentic Dialogue in Memoir | Live Write Thrive
- Comparison of 10 Best Blogging Sites | WebsiteSetup
To make you smile:
- Spontaneous Friday: Writers and Pets | A Crack in the Pavement
- Friday Ha-Ha: Retirement | Random Short Stories
- Caturday Funnies | Bluebird of Bitterness
- INFJ Humor | Jessica Bakkers
- Sunday Funny | Random Short Stories
- Monday Funnies | The Storyreading Ape
- Monday Chuckles | Bluebird of Bitterness
- Monday Funnies | Marcia Meara
- Let Sleeping Authors Lie | Legends of Windemere
- Happiness is a Warm Pun | Bluebird of Bitterness
- Lucy’s Day Off | John W. Howell
And when you’re done with these links, don’t forget to check out the sidebar, where you’ll find more links to some of my favorite sites.
Have a great week! Arrivederci!