Ciao, amici! I’m super excited today. I wrote THE END on my rough draft of book 2 of the Astral Conspiracy series. I haven’t revealed the title or cover yet, so that’s all I can say about that. But I’m in revision-mode, making sure all the threads are properly woven, all the clues are dropped but hidden, all the groundwork is laid for book 3… and of course all the writing is sound.
It never ceases to amaze me that I miss so much in my own work. I’m so diligent and critical, yet I’m often blind to my own errors. My editor catches a lot, but let’s be honest—no one catches everything. Not until it’s published, anyway, and I see word echoes I’d like to address or weak verbs I’d love to change.
But today isn’t about editing and publishing frustrations. Today is about celebrating a completion. And I think Frank Herbert said it best:
There is no real ending.
It’s just the place you stop the story.
So, yeah, I wrote THE END. But there’s a lot more to do—both with this book and this series. And I must confess, I really love this one. My Medici Protectorate series will always be the one I hold closest to my heart because of the family history associated with it, but this book—the whole Astral Conspiracy series—is fast becoming the series I’m most proud of.
Besides, if I learned anything ending two series so far in my career, it’s that nothing ever really ends. Those characters go on to live their lives. And who knows when and where they might pop up again?
What about you? Any “endings” this week? Finish a draft? An outline? An edit? Hit that publish button? Share your successes below. I’d love to celebrate with you.
And now, this week’s writing links:
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Planning for Multiple POVs | Me
- The Day I Went to Jail | Joan Hall
- How to Tweak Your Newsletter | P.H. Solomon
Posts by others in the industry:
- Defining Themes | Lorraine Ambers
- Pacing | Jami Gold
- Slideshow in Gutenberg | Natalie Ducey
- World-Building: Political Structures and Religions | Connie J. Jasperson
- Beats Bring a Story to Life | Dan Alatorre
- Pinterest and Instagram for Writers | The Creative Penn
- Vocatives in Dialogue | Louise Harnby
- The Pen Name Bio Debate | The Kill Zone
- 3 Ways Kate Bernheimer Can Help You Improve Your Writing | Standout Books
- Description Errors Due to POV Limitations | Live Write Thrive
To make you smile:
- Battle of the Bulge | Bluebird of Bitterness
- Monday Funnies | The Storyreading Ape
- Monday Memory Chuckles | Random Short Stories
- Inappropriate Wedding Songs | Bluebird of Bitterness
- Monday Memes | Marcia Meara Writes
- Sheep Thrills | Bluebird of Bitterness
- Lucy and Twiggy Use the Office | John W. Howell
- Memory Issues | Random Short Stories
And when you’re done with these links, don’t forget to check out the sidebar, where you’ll find more links to some of my favorite sites.
Have a great week! Arrivederci!