Ciao, amici! As I write this, I’m waiting for my coffee to finish brewing. That means I’m once again in need of caffeine. But as I wait, I want to share a bit about my writing week.
I think I mentioned that I’m currently writing a sci-fi series. If I didn’t, sorry. Now you know. (They say the memory is the second thing to go.) I’ve written short sci-fi but never a novel, let alone a series. So far, it’s been interesting. I’m using an outline (of course I am) but I’ve veered from it more than ever before. Things keep coming to me to enrich the story, and I have to weave those threads in. It’s kind of freeing, but it’s also kind of terrifying to leave my outline as much as I have been.
Which brings me to Isaac Asimov’s quote, which really felt appropriate to me this week:
Writing, to me,
is simply thinking through my fingers.
I’ve been doing a lot of that this week. The good news is, it seems to be working.
What about you? How is your WIP going?
And now, this week’s writing links:
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Scrivener’s Inspector | P.H. Solomon
- Listening to Your Characters | Joan Hall
- Five for Friday: Funny Writing Quotes | Harmony Kent
Posts by others in the industry:
- How Reading Impacts Writing | D. Wallace Peach
- Are You Afraid of Finishing Your WIP? | K. M. Allan
- Where to Start Your Novel | Fiction University
- Adipocere or Corpse Wax | Sue Coletta
- Keep Your Passion for the Craft | Don Massenzio
- Four Types of Death for the “All is Lost” Moment | Fiction University
- Apostrophe Rules | Just Can’t Help Writing
- Improving Description | Standout Books
- How to Self-Publish | Your First 10K Readers
- Jack Kerouac on Writing | The Kill Zone
- The Short Story | Fiction University
- Do Your Research | Don Massenzio
- Hooks | Fiction University
- Eye-Catching BookBub Ads | BookBub
- Grabbing a Reader’s Attention at the Start | Don Massenzio
- Writing Humanoid Monster Protagonists | Legends of Windemere
- 9 Trends in Publishing | Nicholas C. Rossis
- The Inner Struggle: How to Show a Character’s Repressed Emotions | Jane Friedman
- Using Vocal Cues to Show Hidden Emotions | Fiction University
- Fight, Flight, or Freeze: Psyche 101 for Writers | Elizabeth Spann Craig
- Have You Been Pwned? | Nicholas C. Rossis
And when you’re done with these links, don’t forget to check out the sidebar, where you’ll find more links to some of my favorite sites.
Have a great week! Arrivederci!