Ciao, amici! It’s week three of Advent. This week’s theme is joy. When it comes to writing, I run a gamut of emotions. Frustration, uncertainty, fear. But above all, I feel joy. Knowing that I can take an idea in my head, translate it into words on the page, and ultimately touch a reader in some manner? I take great pleasure in that. I also find it incredible fulfilling when I create an especially clever twist or write a beautiful description. Those surprises are… well, joyful. Which is why this week’s quote, by H. L. Mencken, is so appropriate.
There is in writing the constant joy
of sudden discovery, of happy accident.
Readers, I hope you find joy in the stories you read. And writers, I hope you find joy in this wonderful vocation.
And now, last week’s writing links:
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Flash Fiction: Resolution | Harmony Kent
- Editing Tips | Joan Hall
- Friday Book Share: Screenwriting Tricks for Authors | C. S. Boyack
Posts by others in the industry:
- WordPress’s Gutenberg | Nicholas C. Rossis
- Female Serial Killers | Sue Coletta
- The Writer’s Notebook Part 3 | Don Massenzio
- The Writer’s Notebook Part 4 | Don Massenzio
- Firearms in Fiction | Writers in the Storm
- The Audiobook Segment of Publishing | Nicholas C. Rossis
- Dialogue Primer | Don Massenzio
- When You Don’t Want to Write that Scene | Fiction University
- Euphonics as a Writing Device | The Write Practice
- A Writer’s Strategic Plan | Live Write Thrive
And when you’re done with these links, don’t forget to check out the sidebar, where you’ll find more links to some of my favorite sites. Have a great week! Arrivederci!