Ciao, amici! For those of you who don’t know, I’m Roman Catholic. While the calendar year is winding down, the Church year has just begun. We are now in the season of Advent, which is a time of preparation.
Don’t worry; this isn’t going to be a religious post.
But I think all writers bring parts of themselves to their work. (What would be the point of writing, otherwise?) So I thought I’d take the religious focus of my week and apply it to my working life, too.
On the first Sunday of Advent, we light the Hope candle. And I chose this quote (author unknown) to speak to that theme:
When the world says, “Give up,”
Hope whispers, “Try it one more time.”
Who among us hasn’t agonized over a negative review or brutal critique? It would be easy to quit. Easy to write only for our personal joy (because, let’s face it, we can’t NOT write) and not share our words with the world, exposing our soul in its fragile vulnerability.
But for those of us who don’t quit, hope springs eternal.
So this week, I will continue to hope that my words find the right audience, resonating with my readers and impacting their lives in a meaningful way.
And I hope the same for you.
And now, last week’s writing links:
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
Posts by others in the industry:
- Fellow Authors Aren’t Your Enemies | Don Massenzio
- A Writer’s Guide to Firearms (continued) | Nicholas C. Rossis
- Character Archetypes | The Write Practice
- Creating Believable Characters | Story Grid
- Am I a Real Author? | Don Massenzio
- Book Release Checklist | Publishing Crawl
- How People Decide to Buy Your Book | The Writing Cooperative
- Exposing Your Work (Lisa Burton Radio) | Entertaining Stories
- Traumatically Closed Systems | Fiction University
- Creating a Writing Style Sheet | K.M. Allan
- 10 Steps to a Bestselling Novel | Kobo Writing Life
- Four Act Structure | The Write Practice
- Choosing Your Title | Standout Books
- Taking Stock of Your Writing Goals | The Write Practice
- Character vs. Plot | Well-Storied
- Adding Tension | Fiction University
- Fight Scenes | A Writer’s Path
- Linguistic Fossils | Nicholas C. Rossis
- What to Write About | Don Massenzio
- Heinlein’s Rules for Writers | The Kill Zone
- And for food and family tradition lovers: Holiday Treats | The Kill Zone
And when you’re done with these links, don’t forget to check out the sidebar, where you’ll find more links to some of my favorite sites.
Have a great week! Arrivederci!