My brain is exploding. This week was writing, publishing, and marketing—the trifecta of stressful. Well, writing isn’t usually stressful. Not for me. Not unless I’m behind on a deadline. And typically, I’m not. (I’m obsessive about meeting deadlines.) But when editing, publishing, and marketing infringe on my budgeted writing time, I can either work myself sick or fall a bit behind.
Historically, I’ve chosen the former. This time, I chose the latter.
Probably not the best decision with respect to my work, but when you’re busting out at least five thousand words a day five days a week, it’s hard to sustain that pace if you spend eight hours a day on other things.
Could I have done it? Yes.
Should I have? Maybe.
Did I? No.
Do I regret it? We’ll see.
As it stands, I probably needed the break. Now I need to kick into high gear, though. All while promoting upcoming releases Tortured Soul, book 4 of the Medici Protectorate series and another project I’ll discuss soon. I know, I know. I keep telling you I’m going to talk about it, then I don’t. But I will. Soon. I promise. But not today. Today, I’m focusing on Joanna Penn’s wise words:
Writing is about you.
Publishing is about the book.
Marketing is about the reader.
Now I need to figure out which hat to don when, then I should be good to go.
How about you? Which hat were you wearing this week, and how did it go? Let’s talk about it.
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Complimentary Source of Feedback | P. H. Solomon
- Keep the Pressure On | C. S. Boyack
- Five for Friday: Hilarious Book Dedications | Harmony Kent
- Redemption | Natalie Damschroder
- Cover Quotes | Jennifer Fusco
- Romance When It’s Tough | Laura Stapleton
Posts by others in the industry:
- First Drafts | Fiction University
- Facebook Ads | Nicholas C. Rossis
- One Book or Two? | Fiction University
- Targeting the Right Readers | BookBub
- 7 Tips to Writing Better Villains | Morgan Hazelwood
- Setting Under Water | Fiction University
- Writing a Great Twist | Re:Fiction
- POV and Tense | Well-Storied
- Social Media Tips | Blogging Bistro
- Crafting Powerful Mirror Moments | The Kill Zone
- Processing Writing Advice | The Write Practice
- Necessary Website Updates | Fiction University
- The First Fifty Pages | Live Write Thrive