Ciao, everybody. How was your week? I had one of those “why’d I get out of bed” days—every day. Seemed like everything at work hit the fan and my personal life had more than a few distractions.
In short, it could have been more productive.
I’d sit down to write and realize I had to feed the dogs. I’d start to edit only to stop to answer a pressing message. A book release was pushed back, a completed manuscript required an unexpected revision. I’m telling you, if it wasn’t one thing, it was another. (That’s a stupid saying. What else would something be if not one thing or another? Maybe you shouldn’t take this post too seriously, as clearly, my mind is mush.)
If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted—Oooh! Chocolate!
Not. My son works at a chocolate shop and I can’t even get a lousy piece of candy. Besides, this week it was more like, “Oooh! Wine!”
I know next week will be more productive. I just got a gorilla off my back and the next few projects should go smoothly. Until then, I’ll be plugging along through Friday, looking forward to the weekend and thinking about chocolate. And wine. Mostly wine.
What about you? Are you easily distracted? Do you have any tricks to keep you focused? Let’s talk about it.
And now, this week’s writing links:
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Signings and Swag | Story Empire
- Procrastination | Romance University
- Basic Plots: Rags to Riches | Story Empire
- Deep Point of View | Romance University
- Cover Share: Devour | Story Empire
Posts by others in the industry:
- Character Betrayals | Fiction University
- Simple Marketing Strategies | Nicholas C. Rossis
- Writing as a Job | Fiction University
- Connotations and Word Choices | Fiction University
- Visual-Spacial Writing Tools | Writers Helping Writers
- Facebook Posting Rules Are Changing | WordPress
- Beat Writers Block through Dictation | Kobo Writing Life
- Ray Bradbury on Eliminating Distractions | The Write Practice
- Character Quirks | Writers Helping Writers
- Avoid the Redshirt Character | Standout Books
- Phrasal Verbs | The Write Practice
- Dazzling Dialogue | The Write Practice
- Commonalities in Mega Bestsellers | The Write Practice
Have a great weekend!