I’ve been in edit-mode recently. So much so, getting back into writing has been difficult. Compounding problems? I was working on song lyrics for my WIP. And I am not a songwriter. Sure, I can come up with clever parodies (look out, Weird Al!), but starting from scratch, especially when I don’t have a melody? It wasn’t pretty.
Truth be told, it was crippling. Nothing like attempting something you suck at to totally derail you.
So, I did projects that didn’t need doing. I wrote blog posts that could have waited. My anxiety grew because I have deadlines looming and I was putting off writing.
And that’s where this week’s quote, by Jodi Picoult, came into play.
You can’t edit a blank page.
Wise words. My procrastination wasn’t getting me anywhere. It was only making things worse.
I happen to be pretty lucky, as far as writers go.
- Medical questions? My nephew (in law) is a surgeon.
- Military questions? I have several family members to ask.
- Legal questions? My sister (in law) is an attorney.
- Police questions? My cousin’s a cop.
- A mechanical question? My nephew (in law) is an aeronautical engineer.
* Parentheses used because I think of them as family, not as family-through-marriage.
And how’s this for fortuitous? I needed song lyrics and happen to have two friends who write music (formerly in Nashville) who were happy to lend me a hand. I’m actually going to have original music to include in my work!
So, yeah, it took me a while to get past my mental block, but a few wonderful things happened in the process.
- I checked a bunch of stuff off my to-do list.
- I reconnected with an old friend.
- I learned (or relearned) not to try and reinvent the wheel.
- And I finally started putting words on the page again.
What about you? Any lessons learned this week? Did this quote resonate with you, too? Let’s talk about it.
Until then, here are this week’s links:
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Problems Naming Things | Story Empire
- Picture This | Romance University
- Six Month Checkup | Staci Troilo
- Building Your Story | Romance University
- See the Forest for the Trees | Story Empire
- Importance of Revision | Romance University
- Friday Book Share: The Bone Curse | Story Empire
Posts by others in the industry:
- Humor in Suspense | Felicia Denise
- Facebook Ads | Nicholas C. Rossis
- Manipulating Time in Fiction | Live Write Thrive
- Creativity and Longevity | The Kill Zone
- The Presale | Quora
- Complete Guide to Book Writing | The Write Practice
- Melodrama | Standout Books
- Getting the Yoast Green Dot | Esme Salon
- Increasing your Writing Speed | Fiction University
- Leading Readers to Your Theme | Writers Helping Writers
- Book Cover DIY | Babelcube
- Selling Books with Twitter | The Write Practice
- When Writing Stalls | Fiction University
- Making Fantasy Worlds Feel Real | Morgan Hazelwood
- 9 Tips for Facebook Ads | Connectio
- Spy Novel Main Characters | Writers Helping Writers
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!