In addition to the Easter holiday, I had a birthday this week. I don’t have the date on Facebook and try to keep it low key, so don’t worry if you missed it. I only bring it up now for two reasons.
- Robert Downey Jr. shares my birthday, although he’s a little older than me. I’m a huge fan of his. HUGE. Every year I wait for my birthday buddy to call me, tell me he’s read and loved my work, and ask to make movies from one or more of my stories. Once again, he has failed me. Now I begin my wait. There’s always next year, right?
- Birthdays make us reassess our lives. (Or is it just me?) Which brings me to this week’s inspirational quote:
And I firmly believe that. My most important purpose is to be a wife and mom. I never thought I was destined for global greatness. (Apparently RDJ doesn’t think so, either. Bummer.)
Doesn’t mean I’m not going to try to leave a mark on the world through my writing, though.
I think people can have more than one purpose. I’ll never be done being a mother, but my kids are adults now. They need me less than they did when they were young. That gives me time to try to improve the world in other ways. And my best shot at doing that is through my words. I’ll never be a powerful orator, a world leader, or a medical genius who cures a horrible disease.
I could write about those kinds of people, though. And so many other heroes.
My gift is to entertain and enlighten through the written word. And when I’m not in mom-mode, I’ll keep trying to do just that. Even if Robert Downey Jr. never makes a movie from my work.
And now, this week’s links (and a few from the week before while I was offline):
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Size Matters | Story Empire
- Homonyms | Romance University
- Goodreads | Story Empire
- Filling the Creative Well | Romance University
- Fiction Prompt: Sub | Story Empire
- Summary vs. Scene | Romance University
Posts by others in the industry:
- Amazon Ads | Nicholas C. Rossis
- When There’s No Bad Guy | Fiction University
- Boosting Your LinkedIn Profile | The Write Conversation
- The Point of Scenes | Fiction University
- Subplots | AutoCrit
- Favicons | Ari Meghlen
- Lampshading | Standout Books
- Cliches | Fiction University
- History and Setting | Re: Fiction
- Endings | Fiction University
- 200+ Story Ideas | Reedsy
- Book Launch Teams | The Write Conversation
- Indie Pub News | Don Massenzio
- 34 Seconds to Win a Reader | The Write Conversation
- FBI Interview | Sue Coletta
- Foreshadowing | Fiction University
- LinkedIn for Promotion | Nicholas C. Rossis
- Chapters and Scenes | Jean’s Writing
- Destructive Lies and Character | Writers Helping Writers
Have a great weekend. See you next week!