I’m telling you, the days and weeks are flying faster and faster. We’re almost a Palm Sunday, then Easter. I need a time machine.
Anyway, this week’s inspiration…
This one spoke to me, and I’ll admit I’m not much of a Hemingway fan.
I do, however, write character-driven novels. And I strive to make all my people individual, all their voices unique. They all have their own quirks, their own doubts, their own flaws. They each have different strengths and different desires.
Lately I’ve been dabbling in the thriller genre, which is typically plot-driven. I still feel like I’m writing character-centric stories, though. They’re just faster than the others.
I used to worry about all my people sounding the same, all my stories following the same plot. That got in my head because one of my earliest reviews was by someone who said she loved the story but wouldn’t read the rest of the series because she didn’t expect anything new to happen. That comment ate at me. What if she was right?
You know what? She wasn’t. The plots all advanced the story, and the characters were all different people.
So now, I focus on the strength of my writing. And the characters develop from there. There are over seven billion people on the planet, and each one of them is unique. There’s no reason my characters can’t be, too.
And now, the links of the week…
Posts by me, about my work, or at sites I contribute to:
- Creating an HTML Blog Post | Story Empire
- Does a Fiction Author Need a Blog | Romance University
- Backstage by Harmony Kent | Staci Troilo
- Creating a New Series (Nightforce Security) | Lizzie Chantree
- Basic Plots: Rebirth | Story Empire
- Confession Scenes | Romance University
- Friday Book Cover: Sword and Sorcery | Story Empire
- Turning Points | Romance University
Posts by others in the industry:
- Idea, Premise, Plot | Fiction University
- Creating an Indie Empire | The Write Conversation
- Story Structure Cliffs Notes | StoryFix
- Fun and Pain in Characterization | Kobo Writing Life
- Ranking Higher on Amazon | Nicholas C. Rossis
- The New KDP Community Forum | Chris McMullen
- When and How to Use Social Media | The Write Conversation
- Reviving Old Ideas | The Write Conversation
- Mystery/Thriller Cover Trends | SelfPublishing Relief
- Hybrid Publishing | Standout Books
- Stalling | AutoCrit
- 23 Places to Promote Your Blog Posts | Rachel Poli
- Critique Group Etiquette | Writers Digest
- Making a Quiet Character Stand Out | Writers Helping Writers
- Villains | Fiction University
- Getting Book Reviews | Disappearing in Plain Sight
- Story Bibles | Fiction University
- Symbolism | AutoCrit
- Passage of Time in Fiction | Writers Helping Writers
- How Dreams Improve Writing | Standout Books