Did you ever use a thesaurus to come up with a better word? Stephen King says, “Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule.” Seems to me Mark Twain would disagree.
I don’t want the lightning bug. I want the lightning. My words could have a dim glow or they could light the world on fire. And I choose the latter.
This week, I did a lot of editing, and I tried to help my clients elevate their works and word choices to an electric level. And when I wrote? I tried to do the same for myself. Did I have to consult a thesaurus? A couple of times. And I’m okay with that.
I’d rather use a reference tool and have a character “dash” or “dart” than rely on my sometimes sluggish brain and have them “run very fast”. Call me crazy, but if a simple app can improve my craft, I’m going to use it. Sorry, Stephen.
And now, this week’s writing links:
Short Fiction/WP DP Challenge Links
- Saturday | Short Story | Poor Form
- Sunday | Body Armor Excerpt | Shimmer
- Monday | Short Story | Going in Circles
- Thursday | Out and About Excerpt | Glaring
Links to My Posts/Posts on Sites I’m Affiliated With
- Monday | Story Empire | WordPress: Free or Self-Hosted?
- Wednesday | Story Empire | Scrivener and Series
- Thursday | AIW Press | What’s in a Name?
- Friday | Story Empire | Curated Writing Content
Once again, thanks for visiting. I hope you find these links entertaining and/or useful.
In the meantime, before you go, if you had a favorite story or post, tell us why. If the quote of the week spoke to you, we’d like to know. Feel free to weigh in on any of this content down below.
Enjoy your weekend!