This was a busy week for me. I spent much of it editing in one form or another. Beta reads, critiques, actual editing projects. Even revising some of my own works.
All that editing brought to mind one of my favorite writing quotes, from one of my favorite writers—Dr. Seuss.
I have a tendency to write long. I’m wordy. (I bet that revelation stuns you.) I’ve been participating in WP prompts, writing short fictional pieces to see if I can’t tighten my prose.
It’s been an interesting experiment for me. I love to add detail and color, but sometimes it’s too much. Not necessarily purple prose, but too much. Is it really necessary to know the pencil is yellow and dull and stubby and missing an eraser? If the pencil is a weapon, maybe. But if it’s just a pencil, then probably not.
I’m certainly not claiming to have mastered descriptive writing, but I think I’m getting better at it. And hopefully I’m not making chores for my readers as I practice.
And now, this week’s writing links.
Short Fiction/WP DP Challenge Links
- Saturday | Winter in the Weald
- Sunday | Why Marketers Drink
- Monday | First Case
- Wednesday | A Soothing Cup of Tea
- Thursday | One to Remember
Links to My Posts/Posts on Sites I’m Affiliated With
- Monday | Joan Hall at Story Empire | What’s Stopping You?
- Tuesday | My Blog | Book Review of Hacked by Sue Coletta
- Wednesday | Harmony Kent at Story Empire | Wicked Words
- Thursday | Me at AIW Press | What’s a Writer to Do?
- Friday | Authors at Story Empire | Curated Writing Content
Once again, thanks for visiting. I hope you find these links entertaining and/or useful.
In the meantime, before you go, feel free to weigh in on any of this content down below.
Enjoy your weekend!